Aug 24, 2005

"The Road Not Taken"

"Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could


To where it bent in the undergrowth;"........


Robert Frost's The Road Not Taken gives me a sense of serenity in knowing that often times in my life I have chosen the less traveled path and have been a better person for making that choice. It wasn't always the route that came without pitfalls and caused me to stumble, but it was a lane that brought me in touch with people that have shaped my life.
Every day we have choices that we must make. We choose to either take the pathway that is filled with road signs directing us to our final destination, or we choose to struggle and find our own way sometimes falling down in the process.

But, after we make our choice of a less familiar way, we find that what appeared to be a difficult decision was in fact quite easy after all. My footsteps were not on a primrose path but they weren't difficult either. When I lost my balance I seemed to always have a friend who would lend me support or would find the strength to right myself from within.
I wouldn't have it any other way. The stories I share here are only remembrances of those times and faces of the many people I met along the way.
The thrill of discovering something new each day gives me the incentive to journey where most people haven't trod. My list is long to unearth new treasures and add to the bounty that I now possess. My only obstacle is time.
Will the hourglass be empty before my coffers are full?

...."I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I-
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference
."

As long as I continue to learn and experience life and choose the road not taken, I will die a man with more than his share.

No comments: