Aug 8, 2005

"Punctuation, Vocabulary, Syntax and My Worst Fear"

Hey, I've been through a lot. Maybe not as much as some of you, but a lot. War, death, marriage, divorce, IRS audit. You name it, I've been there.
But my scariest time came this morning when I opened my e-mail. I had a note from my highschool English teacher. SHE HAD READ MY BLOG!.
She didn't say it was good, she didn't say it was bad. There were no red marks correcting my spelling. No comments to the side of the page saying, "What do you mean by this?" No asking me if I had really read the book or was I using Cliff Notes.
I knew when I started this new blogging adventure there would be times that I wished I hadn't daydreamed in English class. Actually, it was one of my favorites subjects.
English, or rather Shakespearean English, was the only class I received an "A" in college. Well, I did get a "A" in Air Force ROTC, but that doesn't count.
I'll let the teacher go nameless, but I have to give credit to her for finding the hidden trait in my complex nature that has allowed me to put words on paper, or at least your monitor.
As some of you know, I am on a new mission.
I have had a life long dream to put the adventures I have had, tell about the people I have met, and release the dreams locked in my brain into a novel. I have the opening line and several pages already knocked out. It seems easier than I thought. We'll see when it gets into the copy editor's hands.
Is all of this the result of a dedicated English teacher who had the patience to put up with my smart- ass attitude?
She did make the comment in her e-mail which related to my profile on this blog page. She said I did have an opinion about everything back then also.
So here's to the ones who have made me what I am today. Here's to the people who thought this aimless youth might just might make a name for himself. Here's to the believers.
I'm richer beyond your wildest dreams. I have more treasures than the wealthiest sultans. I own the world. Not monetary goods, but imagination. For I have an imagination that allows me to travel the universe and I have the ability to tell others about it. All of this because I have friends who trusted in me and believed in me and who have had the patience to teach me how to communicate.
My thanks.

No comments: