Aug 11, 2006

"Why we don't go to the movies"

Oh, we watch movies. In fact, we watch one almost everyday. As long-time subscribers to Neflix, we receive new and old releases regularly in the mail. But we don't go to the movie theater.
With yet another 100 degree plus day scheduled for our already burned and parched city and having a few hours of free time on our hands, we decided to take in the latest blockbuster at the local movie house, a place that advertises "refrigerated air".
I grew up going to the movies like every other kid in the 50's. Saturdays were always special. That chance to fantasize in the world of Western heroes, science fiction serials and an occasional love story. As a matter of fact, Pattye can attest to the fact, that "West Side Story", is still one of my all time favorites.
We decided to catch a late-afternoon showing of Pirates of the Caribbean. With the schools already in session, we figured we could avoid a packed house of noisy little urchins and relax and have dinner, (popcorn and cokes) all in one sitting.
Johnny Depp is high on my list of gifted actors, and who could deny that Keira Knightley is one of the hottest stars on the screen. The action was great. The suspense was intriguing and the cinematography was brilliant.
But the sound, or better yet, the noise was absolutely unbearable.
It was only a few minutes into the previews, that I was reminded why, we don't go to the movies.
The decibel level must range somewhere between the sound of commercial jets on the tarmac at DFW airport and 105 mm Howitzers firing in the Iraqi desert.
My ears literally are still ringing this morning.
For the life of me I just can't understand it.
Is it just me? Have I become such a curmudgeon that the simple act of going to the movies has now become another item on my list of complaints of what is wrong with the world.
I'm not an old fart.
I have a MP3 player. Actually, I have had one for several years and it is loaded with such great hits as 16 minutes of the "Iron Butterfly's" In a Godda da Vida" and Jimi Hendrix's incredible riffs on his Fender Stratoblaster. And I am sure at one time this music was just considered loud noise.
So what is the problem?
I guess maybe it's the volume.
Maybe the theaters should offer a plug-in for your own "ear buds" or better yet, rent head phones and add to their exhorbrant profits that they make on popcorn and candy.
Hmmmm. Not a bad idea.
Regardless, I highly recommend "Pirates" but you might take a little cotton to muffle the sound.
Or, you might just wait for the release of the DVD and enjoy the movie in the luxury of you own setting.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I used to wear form fitted ear plugs to the movies. I think the last movie I went to was Star Wars III. I can't believe the PRICES!!! Ticket prices up north are $12.00 per adult and about the same amount for Popcorn and Drink. I will pay off my house and then mortgage it out for a night at the movies!