Aug 6, 2006

"I'm staying with the reunion theme a little while longer"

Actually, I think it is pretty good stuff....the reunion stories that is. My biggest problem though is determining whether I write for your enjoyment or do I write for mine.....whatever....anyway here goes.
While in Dayton, I had a chance to visit my brothers Rick and Dave. Rick, who lives in Oakwood which is "clear across town", about 5 miles, (I make that comment because in Texas or specifically Dallas, it's not unusual to have to drive 15-20 miles to get to wherever you are going for even the rudimentary item) suggested we have lunch at his house.
Among a number of things I miss about Dayton are 1.) White Castle hamburgers and 2.) Marion's pizza. We chose pizza.
After devouring more than my share and even consuming more than my 23-year old nephew Andrew who was just rising at 1:00 in the afternoon, I began to make some inquiries about former friends and classmates.
It's difficult to ask about friends of the opposite sex without raising some suspicion either to family or spouse, who reads my blogs, about what my ulterior motives might be..... THEY'RE JUST FRIENDS, honey.
Anyway, Rick, who has lived in Dayton all of his life, usually has the latest information on the whereabouts of most of my former coterie. One name came up, Penny, who, although was a year younger and went to Meadowdale High School, was a good friend and someone I hadn't talked with in over 40 years.
Rick sees her occasionally and said she worked at a nearby high fashion clothing store and said he would call her.
With some hesitation I spoke with her, asking about her life and what has transpired in the last almost half a century,....... God, that's a long time!!, and she gave me a lifetime recap in just a few minutes.
In return, I gave her a rundown of my travels and journeys concluding with my present employment by a noted celebrity in Dallas.
She outdid me though.
Her younger brother, Steve, is a hot soap opera star and has been on "Days of our Lives" and "General Hospital", two of my favorites.
As the conversation began to find its uncomfortable pauses, I sensed it was time to conclude the chat with some banal comment like, "Well, if you are in Dallas, call me".
I left my brother's house a little later with two of my favorite things in life. Remembrances of good food and good friends.

No comments: