Aug 17, 2006

"A Gift Close to My Heart"


Only a wife of almost 20 years knows what to give her spouse, someone who has it all, for his birthday.
Against her better judgment for my health's sake, the person who promised to love, honor and not necessarily keep me porcine, gave me a birthday present only someone in Texas could really appreciate.
Yes, Pattye spent hours in the kitchen creating a gift that is close to my heart. Not so much in the sentimental way, but more in the cholesterol way.
She presented me with her signature meal.....The Chicken Fried Steak.
As I said earlier, you have to live in Texas or maybe a border state to really appreciate this delicacy.
Oh, I know we are chastised by the elite critics from the NorthEast who question our taste in fine dining, but until you have savored this bonne bouche please refrain from judging our cuisine.
And certainly, don't disparage Pattye.
She is an excellent cook. Her list of recipes is endless. Several years ago, she published a cookbook, a compilation of her family's recipes from over 5 generations that sustained her ancestors as they settled in Central Texas, many of them living into their 90's. And yes, the chicken fried steak appeared numerous times in the cookbook as a favorite meal second only to ribs and brisket.
The chicken fried steak appears on the menu of many of our fine restaurants. Oh, it might be disguised as a breaded veal cutlet or some such nonsense but a Google search of the carnivore's dream brings up over 6 million hits.
Many displaced Texans upon return to the Lone Star State clamor for this thin slice of beef steak, double-dipped in an egg batter and bathed in a secret mixture of flour and spices. And after pan fried in hot oil at the exact temperature so that the coating sticks to the meat this steaming feast is covered in home-made country gravy served with sides of mashed potatoes and green beans.
Yes, it was a delightful birthday. One that I can relive again tonight with leftovers.
In a sense I guess you could call it a gift that keeps on giving.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Forget the pedestrian veal cutlet; after sampling my first chicken fried steak, I thought I had died and gone to heaven! I'm coming to your house for my next birthday!