Oct 21, 2006

"I'm a laugher ????"

I don't know what that really means though. But that's what I am. And, it seems like it keeps getting worse...or better.
It's not that there is a whole lot to laugh about these days, but when I see or hear something funny, I really laugh...a lot.
I used to think that when I heard sound tracks on TV or heard a particular voice in a live audience, that it was a "plant", someone who had been placed there to help inspire an audience.
But now I have become that guy. The laugher.
I guess it's OK though, except when I sense something really funny and then look around and no one else is guffawing like me. Either they didn't get the joke or maybe I read more into it than they did.
The worst occurrence is when I am driving by myself and happen to hear something funny on the radio and begin banging on my steering wheel in an uncontrollable fit, only to look outside the window at the car next to me and get some kind of weird stare.
Are things that funny?
Probably not, but I like to laugh.
I think some of the wittiest "stuff" still can be found in newspaper comics.
Each morning, my day is starts by running through the 5 pages of the Dallas Morning News comics section.
Get Fuzzy ranks at the top of the list, even though I sometimes don't even understand it. And of course there is Pearls before Swine, again, one that makes me laugh, but also occasionally confused.
I grew up listening to comedy albums. Bob Newhart, Bill Cosby, Cheech and Chong and Redd Foxx were all on my list.
Just thinking of the exchange in the Cheech album about the "Dave, Dave's not here, man" brings a smile to my face. (You'll have to do a little research to learn more about this routine).
And as a kid growing up in the 50's. What excitement when a Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis movie came out. I couldn't wait to get to the Saturday morning showing.
Abbott and Costello's great routine of "Who's on first" can still make me laugh today.
And what about Groucho and his crazy brothers. And the Three Stooges.
Sometimes late at night, or rather early morning, I'll scan through the cable network hoping to find old clips of "The Little Rascals".
I guess I could probably do a little self diagnosis and find out why I seem to be laughing louder and longer these days. I'm sure some expert will say I am seeking attention to myself and am really sad on the inside and am crying out for help. Who cares.... not me.
Actually, some experts say that laughter prevents heart disease .
If that's the case, then good. I'll live to a ripe old age.

No comments: