Oct 14, 2006

"Abducted by Aliens"

Few people know the story of me being abducted by aliens. For obvious reasons I rarely share the story but perhaps it's time to bring the facts to a broader public.
About ten years ago I suddenly awoke from what seemed like a deep sleep. The surroundings hadn't changed. As a matter of fact I will still sitting on the bed getting dressed as I always did. Alternating days from putting one sock on and then one shoe, from the routine of the previous morning of putting each sock on and then each shoe. I do little things like this just to keep some variety in my life.
But this particular morning, I remember looking at my watch and noticed it was exactly 5:40 AM. Ten minutes later I found myself in the same position, one sock in my hand, getting ready to put it over my foot!!
Ten minutes. Ten full minutes had dropped out of my life and I couldn't account for any of the time.
Now I know everyone thinks there is a simple explanation for this. From simply reading my watch incorrectly, to simply being a little groggy. And yes, I will admit this was back in the days of my alcohol consumption.
But this was real or rather surreal.
I truly believe I had some kind of out of body experience.
I don't remember anything that transpired during this time. I don't remember hovering over the room. I don't remember any little green men probing me and inserting rods into places that should never be explored other than by trained medical professionals. I don't remember anything that happened at all.
The only thing I do remember is that ten minutes had come and gone and I couldn't account for it.
The only plausible answer is that I was abducted by aliens.
And now, now it has happened again.
Three weeks have passed and I can't account for much of what has happened to me other than a few hazy images of getting up every morning, going to work. Installing a new hard drive and reinstalling tons of software into Pattye's computer. Replacing a monitor on my machine. Watching the Texas/OU game and becoming very depressed. Watching the Dallas/Philadelphia game and becoming very depressed. Writing four blogs that still remain in draft form. And a few other odds and ends.
It has to be the aliens. There is no other answer.
Where o' where does the time go?
It's like I can hear every tick of the the clock these days.
Three weeks have come and gone and I am still trying to put that sock over my foot again.
Have I forgotten to stop and smell the roses? Yes.
Have I forgotten to stop and spend time doing what I really take pleasure in doing , like writing a blog? Yes.
Have I forgotten to take time and enjoy the love and friendship of those around me? Yes.
Have I been abducted by aliens?, Well, maybe.
Life really, really is too short.
I still have my list of things I want to see and do before it is too late.
See a whale.
See a shuttle launch.
See the Grand Canyon.
I'm not getting any closer to any of these dreams than I was ten years ago.
Today starts a new T.K.
I'm refocusing.
I will savor each minute like it was my last.
I'll.......oops just remembered I said I would help them out at the store today.
O.K.
Tomorrow I'll refocus.
Tomorrow I will savor each minute.
Tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Let me be the first to welcome you back! You've been missed.
BJSSW