Jul 19, 2005

"Another crossroads in time"

At times like these I feel like I am the luckiest man alive. The person who promised to love, honor and help me make decisions and I are discussing whether to choose another path in our continued search for life's enjoyments.
As the work environment continually changes we find ourselves either needing to adapt and compromise our integrity or choose a different source for income for our next couple of decades.
Fortunately, we both are hard-working and intelligent enough that whatever decision we make shouldn't have much of an economic impact should we decide to seek out another challenge.
My first choice would be to seclude myself and write that "Great American Novel". That has actually been suggested by Pattye, much to my surprise. Okay, anyone out there care to give me about a $100,000 advance?
Didn't think so.
Next, I have made a proposal to a certain individual to become his property manager and manage his estate while he involves himself in his celebrity career and numerous travels. Should that endeavor come to fruition our next set of choices becomes very desirable.
As some of you know, we have been developing a consignment business, Gathering Eggs .
Pattye would like nothing more than to spend her days buying and selling vintage and new collectibles. She has gotten the buying part down real well as evidenced by the daily arrival of new inventory and the selling part is coming into its own.
We recently made a commitment to expand our operation and decided to have one more sit-down together before we embarked on this project. The next morning after our discussion, we found that we had one of the best days so far in sales. Hmmmmm, I hope that is a good sign.
My biggest desire is for the chance to cut our workload to about 60 hours a week. No, I'm not exaggerating. That is about what we both put into our present situation. That's 60 hours each!
I long for the day when we can actually take a week-end off and travel to find more treasures to provide to the public, ( at a comfortable mark-up of course).
And yes, we could actually spend a Thanksgiving or Christmas without getting up at midnight.
Hey, I'm not complaining. We made the choice to do what we have been doing for the last 15 years, but the time has come to reassess our decision and do what is best for us, not for the one-sided thinking corporate structure.
And we always have our old faithful, Blue Sky Pools. And we have Free Obits . And we have accepting an offer with UPS . And working out of the house for American Airlines .
So don't be dismayed. We aren't.
We are thrilled that we have a chance in this great country of ours to do whatever we choose. All it takes is hard work and a little bit of intelligence and you can be successful. We have proven that time and time again.
So that's why I am the luckiest man alive. I have choices, I have friends, I have good health and I have a willingness to work hard. Doesn't get any better than this.
Now, about that advance, would you settle for maybe $50,000?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I too have some choices to make and your ability to openly discuss your feelings makes my decision much easier. Tom, you write that novel and Pattye, you pursue your desires. The world is a much better place because of both of you.

Anonymous said...

Well written. Life is much to short to be in an unhappy situation. Go look for your dream.

Anonymous said...

write some blog news, will ya?
Life is good, but time to move on....

see ya soon.
dgoss