Jul 11, 2005

That sixth sense, with a little added technology"

How did our parents seem to have a sixth sense about them and knew where we had been and what we were doing particularly when we were doing something wrong? I mean other than the tell-tale signs of muddy shoes from the river bottom, or the aroma of cigarette smoke we tried to hide with Sen Sens , or as we got older the smear of pancake makeup on our collar.
My mother had this way of trying to get a whiff of my breath as I would come home, late as usual, on a Saturday night after drinking a couple of quarts of beer with my buddies during my hell-raising highschool days. I always got busted so I immediately admitted to having just a sip while my eyes tried to focus and my stomach churned waiting to expunge the contents of my evening's escapades.
The didn't have caller ID, they didn't have GPS, they didn't have eyes in the back of their head, although we often suspected that to be true. But they did have that sixth sense about them. They knew. And, it was that scary feeling that usually kept me somewhat along the straight and narrow path.
These days teenagers don't have a chance. With pagers and cell phones and picture phones, Mom and Pop can find their kids immediately. One companyTeen Arrive Alive can track your steps within 20 ft. of your location with GPS satellites. Even your dog can't wander off in the middle of the night without your finding him with new "chips" that can placed in their collar from Pet Finder
All this techno stuff I'm sure has a "back door" that can allow someone to cover their tracks. Even though you think you are getting away with something, you're probably going to get caught.
So the best advice that I can give you is: "If you don't want to get caught, then don't do it. Or at least wear clean underwear because people can see right through you".

No comments: