Mar 22, 2005

"Death makes strange bedfellows"

I won't make any comments specifically about the Terri Schiavo case because I don't know what to say, which is unusual for me.....What I do find interesting is that many on the right and many on the left are forming ranks with each other which points out the fact that we are neither always liberal nor always conservative. I heard one commentator expressing his sentiments that he couldn't understand why so many Republicans were in favor of replacing Terri's feeding tube when this should have been a "liberal" cause. Huh?
I hear quotes from the Bible or readings from great scholars that the proponents for each side spew out, trying to convince the opposition of what is right and what is wrong. I wish I hadn't damaged so many brain cells in my youth so that I could remember some of the platitudes that would sound "brainy" and I could prop myself up and say "here's the true answer". There is no true answer.
Is it wrong to simply go about my daily chores and let someone else make the decisions for me such as weekend emergency sessions of the government? Should I consult my minister and have him direct me to what is right and what is wrong? Or do I do some soul-searching and try to come up with the answer on my own? I can't. I'm like a lot of people who just want the problem to go away.
Our medical technology has advanced to the point where "life" can be sustained indefinitely. Life as we used to think of as life, that is.
I have been in several nursing homes in my association with the DMN. This requires me going into the bowels of the homes and assisted living centers, places that the general public doesn't get a chance to see. There are frail, elderly people lying in their beds, barely over 80 lbs., moaning, soiling themselves, calling out "help me, help me". They are medicated without any clue of their surroundings. I know I don't want that for myself....... I'm know I don't want to die in my sleep, because hell, that could happen tonight. Watch out what you wish for.
So here we are at a stalemate. Charges have been levied against both sides. No one knows who to believe. The U. S. Congress and President of the United States have stepped in. Anguished parents want to simply care for their daughter. A grief-stricken husband wants to go on with his life. And a poor woman lies in a vegetative state unaware, or perhaps aware, of what is going on around her. Is there no King Solomon who can gives us the right answer?
God, help us all.

No comments: