Nov 7, 2019

That aura of happiness that I have always wanted and wondered about....


Years and years ago when I was actively involved in the Episcopal Church activities and spent time around people who were certainly holier than I, I would see this constant aura about their face almost like a permanent smile. It was so obvious to me but when I would mention it to my friends, they either thought I was just funnin' with them or maybe I was just acting my oddball self.

I would even ask these individuals what brought them such happiness. They would shrug their shoulders and they too acted like they didn't know what I was talking about. But the glow was there. I saw it. I felt it.

Eons have since gone by from the time when I participated in the Church to today when I am now beginning to now offer more of my services to my new found spiritual family. And once again, I begin to see that aura around certain individuals and it's something I want.

I don't feel like I haven't been approachable most of my life. I usually have a smile on my face. I try to offer assistance when needed and though I can work up a pretty good scowl when I get pissed, for the most part I'm a good guy. But it seems like I am always the one making the effort to help, which I love doing don't mistake me, but sometimes I wonder if people are afraid to ask for my help.

Maybe it has become society as a whole...a distrust for strangers, fear for our safety...too much time spent with our noses in our devices and not enough time with people that we have forgotten to talk with each other.

Today, that changed for me.....and of course, I just wanted to come home and write about it...something I am finding I am doing almost every day now.

I was coming out of the Richardson "Y" after a short period of time on the stationary bicycle. I actually had been headed to the Senior Center to shoot a little pool, (ahh, the retired life) and they were closed as they prepared for the Christmas bazaar so I headed to the Y.....

Geesh...I'm sorry for drifting away... it's been diagnosed as OFADD...Old Fart Attention Deficit Syndrome.....anyway, back on track.

So anyway, as I was leaving the Y a  much older Hispanic couple pulled up to me and rolled down their window and I was delighted I was going to be able to help without me first approaching them as I always seem to do when I see someone in distress or needing help.

 After 50 years of living in Texas and Oklahoma I have to admit my Spanglish is pretty darn good, but dang, I was having a really difficult time trying to communicate with this beautiful couple. I even checked to make sure they were speaking Spanish and perhaps I had mistaken them for another nationality....  Anyway after broken sentences we were on the same page but for the life of me I just couldn't figure out their need. I was all set to run back into the Y and see if anyone spoke Spanish but I persevered. And then the key words came out..."Book"...."Central Book"....I thought for a second and then realized the Richardson Library was only a few blocks away and I shouted "LIBRARY"...and their eyes lit up.

We didn't solve any International Crisis, but it was just friend helping friend. I started to tell them it was only a few blocks away but then I thought, "nope, I'll have them follow me"...they did...they got to the "Central Book" and I raced home to share the story.

Folks, I don't know what's happening to me, but I'm thankful that complete strangers can find me approachable in a time when the world is full of hate and for some reason we have a distaste for people who are different than us. Maybe I'm not a scary old white man after all. And maybe I might now have that aura.

Peace

No comments: