Nov 16, 2019

OK, Fine. I finally admit it that I don't know everything...



I'm going to let some of you gloat over the fact that you finally have found something that you know more about than I do. But in reality, I've never claimed that I know more things than all of you, it's just that well, I kinda give the impressions that I do.........or hmmm, maybe I do know more......regardless, go ahead and have at me.

All of this refers to something I saw the other day out at the Frisco Mall just north of town.

Now let me first mention this, and as they say in Texas "It ain't braggin,  Maam, if it's fact".

You're talkin' to a guy who is pretty sharp when it comes to high tech stuff. I've been buildin' all kinds of electronic things for a number of years. I built my first couple of computers. I can fix anything electrical or mechanical in a home. Heck, at one time I was even braggin' that I was gonna do my own head-brain lobotomy until someone talked me out of it.

Anyway, back to what happened.....And I was just tryin' to kind of put my credentials out there, but ok, I concede to what happened the other day because it simply had me starin' with my jaw opened up and in a daze you coulda' knocked me over with a feather.. So, even as smart as I am, some of you are gonna be smarter than me when I tell you what I saw.

I parked my car and headed up to the main entry doors and as I got closer to the entry way and all of the parking spots came to an end, I see these, well, I see these thingys that kinda look like fuel pumps but they have a long electrical cord comin' out of the side of them. I get closer and practically get run over since I'm standing in the roadway and I'm starin' and starin' and for the life of me, I had no idea what they were and then suddenly it hits me, "OMG, THEY ARE CHARGING STATIONS FOR ELECTRIC CARS!!!"

I actually said aloud, "You gotta be sh**en me."

A security guard walks over and greets me. He looks like he is barely out of high school and just smilin' away. He sees the look on my face as he has probably done many times before when people my age get their first glimpse of the future. He says, "Pretty impressive, huh. Free fuel for your electric car".

OK, go ahead and gloat, those of you who have seen these and God forbid if I know any of you who actually have an electric car, but I have to admit, "Yes, I'm kinda impressed"

Now realize, I cut my eye teeth as a young man working in the Oilfield business. I spent several years out in West Texas selling oilfield equipment and chasing every rig from Sonora, Texas all of the way up to Hobbs, New Mexico. I made my living, a substantial living I might add, and then later came to Dallas in the late 70s when Oil was King, and I was a Prince. But then in the 80s, the bottom fell out and most of us became paupers.

So, I have had an affinity to the Oilfield Industry. It has kept the world's lamps lit for over a century. It's moved automobiles from one side of the continent to the other and despite all of the negatives, it made this country a better place.

But, I guess "time marches on"

I'm certainly not against electric cars. They make a lot of sense although, there is still a lot of research that is needed such as storage and overall cost. I guess if you had a long enough extension cord, though you wouldn't have to worry about that.

So, here I am at 71 and willing to admit that maybe I just have not been paying attention and some technology has slipped by me.

And in fact, it actually was kind of fun and enjoyable to see something new and exciting.  Maybe I just don't get out often enough as I should or perhaps I'm not looking around enough and there are many new things that I just haven't noticed.

Regardless, I admit some of you have something on me now, but this day too shall pass.

So "hello future", I'll be catchin' up with you soon.

Anyway, I hope you enjoyed the story and as always,  (and you can quit gloating now)

Peace



No comments: