Aug 5, 2017

Happy 80th Birthday, dear friend

Forty-five years ago I had the privilege of meeting a young man, an Air Force navigator who was returning stateside, after routinely risking his life flying "low and slow missions" barely above the treetops of the jungles of Vietnam..

E.K. Loving, or always known to me as Maj. Loving, the rank he held when he showed up at the Base Information Office at Langley AFB, Va., was just thirty-five years old at the time, about ten years older than me. He was a seasoned officer but I wasn't sure if that experience would be enough to handle a bunch of "rogue" characters in our Information Office. Turns out, his experience as a leader   made my particular career in the military not only fun but extremely rewarding.

We were kind of a rag-tag type operation before he got there, somewhat like the background guys in the movie "Good Morning, Vietnam" with the late Robin Williams. We didn't do any crazy stuff, but we tended to be a little shaggy haired, scuffed shoes-type, crumbled slept-in uniform types. We also were more educated then the average enlisted man at the time with all of us having been college educated to some degree. I guess maybe it was fate or maybe "Karma" that we ended up under Maj. Loving's command.

My main job in the Information Office at that time was the editor of the Langley Flyer, the base newspaper for all of the personnel stationed there as well as their families. In addition to the newspaper we had a Public Information division that handled any and everything about news or publicity that would have to do with the base.

Maj. Loving called me into his office a few days after he had gotten settled in. He said, "Sgt. Kender, ...Tom, I know you guys are used to doing things around here your way. Well, apparently, that works. All I ask is that you keep me informed and keep us out of trouble." He knew when something was working right and felt like change wasn't needed simply for change purposes. Plus he trusted us.

I guess for a navigaor used to flying dangerous missions over Vietnam, he knew it was important to work as a team. I took his words to heart. I told the people working under me to get a damn haircut, shine their shoes and wear a clean uniform to work each day. I also told them to keep writing the stories that they have been writing, but let's even do a better job than we had been doing.

I said we have a new sheriff in town and he has already earned my respect. He was truly a leader.

The next year the base newspaper, The Langley Flyer, won best base newspaper in the Command. It was a major accomplishment in our world and  it was a big deal to all of us, especially Maj. Loving.

The following year I was reassigned to TAC Command, also located at Langley, but I stayed in touch with everyone at the base Information Office on a daily basis, including the Major. We had become friends by then.

Our paths never crossed again until a few years ago when I found him as well as some other members of our office on Facebook.

Major Loving taught us how to lead by example. He was a good man back then and a better man now. I know I improved my character just by being around him.

I salute your sir, on your 80th birthday. Not only as warrior who protected our country but as a friend.

Happy Birthday,

Sarge Kender



No comments: