Aug 12, 2017

Does God decide who wins the Lottery?



We have another big Power Ball payoff tonight, close to 1/2 a billion dollars give or take a few million, and I was just trying to get a little inside track on winning this thing.

Now I'm sure for all of my true believer friends, my all-in or nothing friends, there is no question about this, "God decides all things". And I respect that opinion. I truly do.

As a matter of fact some of you recently helped me through a dark period when I pretty much had given up on my faith trying to understand how God lets people suffer and die. A nice couple, who have the strongest faith I have ever witnessed, told me to have faith and I did and the person who is dying has had some improvement. So, yes, I truly believe. But this is just me being kind of silly, so kind of bear with me here.

Okay. So let's just assume that God is in control here, where do you suppose on his list of important things is my or anyone else chance of winning the lottery. I mean there's a lot of people buying tickets and his bookkeepers have got to be going crazy trying to give Him all the data so He can decide who the winner will be.

And what about prayer. I saw a lady, as I was buying my lotto ticket for tonight's big payoff, I saw her make the sign of the cross right before the cashier punched in the information. Does that help?  I have to admit I kinda faked a real quick one acting like I was brushing something off my shirt just so I at least would have a level playing field with her.

Does God's bookkeepers keep a tally of who have said the most prayers and proclaim them the winners?

I remember as a young kid playing baseball, I was pitching for the B.O. K. team and some kid made the sign of the cross as he got up to the plate. I thought, "crap", he's got an edge on me now"...so I whipped out not only one but two signs of the cross right before I began my windup. I fired my fast ball fully expecting to strike him out and he hit the dang thing for a home run.

Looking back, that probably was part of the reason I began to question my faith.

And even when praying...you got to be doing it right.

I can remember in catholic school for my first eight years of education at Our Lady of Mercy in Dayton, Ohio.  We had to start every school day by going to church first. We would kneel for almost an hour and had to have our hands folded perfectly in prayer. It never failed, that a nun would crack my knuckles with her ruler if my hands weren't folded exactly right. I'd follow her directions but as she walked down the aisle, and in church no less, I would slightly raise that middle finger as my hands were folded in prayer. I kinda think God was winking at me on that one.

So anyway, back to the Lottery.

I've made all the promises to God, just like everyone else I suppose. I would give a great big portion of the winnings to charity. I'll give a whole lot to family. I might even give some to the city. I'll help out the animal shelters. I'll adopt a whole bunch of doggies and maybe a cat or two, well maybe I'll just pay for someone to adopt the cat. I'll have free beer at the bars. I'll buy free meals at restaurants. Heck, I'll even throw money from a helicopter. I'll do it all if I win that thing.

So, I guess I have answered my own question if God had anything to do with winning the lottery.

The one thing I have learned is...You can't win if you don't play

Good luck!.

No comments: