Apr 7, 2017

I saw an old friend, but didn't recognize him...



I saw an old friend today. He is both an old friend and a friend who is old. The crazy thing is that I see him all of the time but I just haven't recognized him lately.

Anyone who knows me or has met me, knows him as well, but I doubt you would have recognized him either.

He's a lot grayer, but still has all of his hair. He still stands tall but has just the slightest slump when he gets tired. His gait is a little slower, but still fast paced. His wrinkles are now permanent as opposed to only when they appeared when he laughed.

As a matter of fact I recognized him and realized who he was when I heard his laugh. That's something that apparently has never changed.

He said he considers his health as excellent despite his decades of disregard for a healthy life style. His eyes are sharp, clear and as blue as ever.but admitted they were less than average until his cataract surgery.
His teeth are straight and white, but I think they might be store-bought.

He's still active, works regularly and enjoys people and things that he never had time for in years past.

Sadly, he said his memory is slipping though. He said it's frustrating that when he is having a conversation with someone that he will forget the simplest thing. But, he said he could remember every day growing up as a child.

The most difficult task he admitted to is not being able to recognize friends and people as easily as he used to.

And, just like I said I didn't recognize him...he said he didn't recognize me either.

We both agreed to see each other on a daily basis so we can improve our memories and we agreed to share the memories of our lives so those memories will never be lost.

Yep, you all know him. It's me

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Insightful, as always.
You could be talking about me!
Glenda ❤️