Apr 17, 2017

Friendships can sometimes save a life...



Can anyone imagine ever saying, "My friend saved my life"? ...Well, if that sounds like a chance in a million of ever happening, what about "My high school classmate from over 50 years ago saved my life".  And, yes,  that was the case with Jack Berkemeier, Class President of the Fairview Class of '63  and what he had to say about Dr. David Joffe, also class of '63..

As some of you know, Jack has had his share, actually more than his share of some health issues over the years. You'd never know it though. He's always the first to offer help like he did when I desperately needed a projector for my 50th Reunion last year and he came to the rescue.. And Jack is always the lead dog when anything Fairview is taking place. He's the first one to get there and one of the last ones to leave.

Jack had moved temporarily back to the Dayton area a couple of years ago when he was asked to renovate an abandoned movie theater in the Miamisburg area, and that led to a renovation of a theater in Urbana and now a third theater in Eaton..

Jack has always been fast paced and even with the ole' ticker missing a few beats every now and then he keeps up with the youngest ones around.

I talked with Jack today when I had received notification of a '63 classmate of Jack's had passed away. Art Messer. I have a connection with that class partly because my brother Rick was in that class and I also host a website for the class.

I had also learned while talking with Jack that his doctor, David Joffe, had been battling some health issues as well. That information had come from Jack via Bill Wagner, '63.

After a little hesitation, Jack said, "Tommy, if it wasn't for Dr. David, I wouldn't be here today. I had called him when I was experiencing what I thought to be another heart issue and he demanded that I get to the hospital right away."

Jack just got out of the hospital on Friday, but he will be going back in on April 28th for what will probably be bypass surgery.

What a wonderful world we live in, when we can continue to have the friendships that we created 50 and 60 years ago.

Please let Jack know you are thinking of him. You can find him on Facebook or drop me a line and I'll send you his email address and or phone number.  And Jack said, Dr. David Joffe would like to hear from old friends as well and you can wish him well while he is on the mend at drcdave@yahoo.com

I'm proud to have gone to Fairview High School, a place where we made friendships and we know, that if our life ever is in danger, all we have to do is pick up the phone and that classmate will be there to help us or even save our life.. And, I'm proud to have known Jack going back 60 years to Our Lady of Mercy and then Fairview. He truly is one in a million.

Jack said he is so thankful to have had these opportunities to restore these wonderful theaters. and now it is only fitting, that a classmate from so many years ago can now help restore Jack's life.

Be well my friend

1 comment:

Anonymous said...


Thanks to Jack. Thanks to all who have commented or posted these last few days about My health. Yes, I was quite sick, In hospital for 12 days. One surgery.
For the last 2+ months, I have been carrying around a "wound VAC" - a device which aids in closing a large open wound. In my case, the whole thing was caused by the "flesh eating bacteria"! Yes, thank GOD and my doctors, I lived and am recovering. I might be able to return to the practice of cardiology in the next 3-4 weeks. It's not easy getting older but it beats the alternative. Thanks to all.

C David Joffe , Fairview Class of '63