Jul 27, 2009

Do you have to give up your childish ways?....NO, I say!

When I wake up in the morning I always look over at my night stand to see if I wrote down anything prolific while I was in a semi-conscious state...Nope, nothing there today...but I did have this thought though....what is it about me that makes each day exciting and has me ready to tackle everything facing me?....it's laughter...it's my silly childish laughter.

Now I'm probably as god-fearing as the rest of you... and even though I don't always do the right thing...I kinda go to church every now and then and I can quote scripture pretty well from my early days of having the bible shoved down my throat...but this particular passage came to light after I had my first coffee.

"When I was a child, I spoke like a child, thought like a child, and reasoned like a child. When I became an adult, I no longer used childish ways." 1 Corinthians 13:11

Now if am to believe that there is some kind of after-life and if I am to believe, based on the current teachings of established churches, that in order to get anything close to a front row seat or for that matter even anything in the nose-bleed section, I have to follow "what was written"

Hmmm....could be tough. Cuz based on the above scripture, I don't follow that rule...and I don't want to.

It's not that I refuse to lose my youth...it's just that we are too damn serious sometimes....I want to start each day laughing and smiling and wondering what prank am I going to play on somebody.

I take my responsibilities seriously, but I refuse to quit acting like a little boy....If I feel like skipping, I'll skip....If I feel like playing make-believe, I'll play make-believe...If I don't want to eat my cereal...well, I'll probably do that cuz I fixed it myself.

My whole point is...do we have to give up our childish ways just because we are all grown up now? Let's let children's laughter lead the way...even if it might be our own.

Maybe we need to reflect on what made us happy as kids and use it a little more often. It makes the day so much more fun...and I like fun...and games...and skipping!

2 comments:

Margie said...

I totally agree with you, Tom - there is a misconception that responsibility and playfulness can not co-exist. Of course, in Matthew 18:3, Jesus says something to the effect of unless we become like children, we will not enter the kingdom of heaven - so there is your counter-point. I say we are to be responsible and light-hearted all at the same time - it is a good balance!!!

Anonymous said...

I still find myself asking, "What are you going to do when you grow up." The Birthday Bulldog