Jul 22, 2020

The time has come....



A little over 50 years ago two events occurred on the same day that changed my life forever. One caused me to be a shameless coward and it's something I have never shared before today and the second caused me to become a man and dig deep down in my soul to learn how to never fear anyone or anything again.

I was at the University of Oklahoma in the Spring of 1970 and although the students and campus for the most part remained quiet and orderly during a time of upheaval as other universities around the country faced protests about the Vietnam War.

That changed however in Norman, Oklahoma, with the shootings that occurred at Kent State University in Ohio on May 4th.

Angry mobs of students, almost all of whom were just quiet young men and women became violent, vicious and horribly disrespectful and attempted to destroy my University.

I found myself in the midst of hundreds of them on my way to a Journalism class while walking past the Student Union. A band of them proceeded to haul the American flag down from the flagpole and began to stomp on it and attempt to burn it. I was completely alone in attempting to prevent the hideous disrespect from happening and struggled to free myself from allowing my flag from being desecrated. I quit fighting them and turned away, ashamed of myself and hated myself for being such a coward.

Later in the day, the second event occurred which helped heal my cowardice behavior.

I was in R.O.T.C and we were standing "ranks" as we did each week. We simply stood in formation and marched around a simple parade ground learning to obey commands from our flight leaders.

Many of the same angry mob who had desecrated my flag began to taunt us, shove us and in several cases spit in our faces including mine. We stood ranks at attention  in total disbelief as our classmates, the same people we sat next to in class, acted in such a hateful manner.

I learned that day that I was not alone and I would always have fellow citizens to support me.

And, I promised that day to never be shamed again for being an American, a serviceman and a patriot.

Later in that year, I enlisted in the Air Force and served my country honorably along with both of my brothers, all three of us serving during the Vietnam War. The oldest of whom, David, received the Silver Star for his valor in an attempt to free P.O.W's.

A couple of years ago for my 50th High School Reunion, I made a video honoring my classmates who served during Vietnam. By God's Grace none of my classmates died during the War.  I also found out the number of classmates who served our country, it reminded me once again that I was not alone.

Today we are under siege again. And, just as I vowed 50 years ago ...

I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed.

The key word here is domestic.

Enough is enough. I will no longer let our cities burn, our citizens live in fear and my flag be desecrated and I know I am not alone in my beliefs.

The time has come to stand up for America.



 Peace



  

1 comment:

Jim said...

Tom, I alway have a little story for you. Here is one for you.
Last summer, I had the honor of speaking at the grave side service for my Mother-in-Law. When I first said I was willing to do this I had forgotten where her service would be and the many memories this cemetery had.
My first assignment after returning to the states, from Vietnam in 1969, was Castle AFB by Merced, CA. While I was station there, I volunteered for the Base Ceremonial Team and Honor Guard. I also did the same when I was transferred to Fairchild AFB, WA. Because of my rank I was assigned as the Team Leader. The Honor conducted all Military funerals within about a 50-mile radial of the base. As the team leader I would inspect the flag after it was folded and present it the family member.
It had been many years since I had been back to the cemetery where my Mother-in Law’s service was held. While I was standing there talking about my Mother-in-Law, I started to feel each one of the soldiers that I had provided Honors to standing with me. The longer I talked, the more my eyes began to water. Yet no one really understood why my eyes were draining the way they were. Yes, some was for my Mother-in-Law, but most were for those young soldiers standing with me. I may be crazy, but I could hear their voices saying, “Thank you, Jim” over and over.
During the Vietnam years, I had at least one or two burials a week. Almost every time, after a service, when I would return to work, someone would always ask me, “Why do you do all that extra drill on your own time?” I would always reply, “Because those Soldiers earned the Honors the team provided them.”, “None of them asked to die so young.”
Jim