Dec 20, 2019

"You gotta know when to fold them..."



One would think that after I have clocked in/out as many days as I have in my lifetime that I would have learned to just say "No"...I would have learned to say, "Nope, I've had enough....and even after a lifetime of drinking and then remaining sober for over 20 years, one would have thought I would have learned my lesson and that I guess I just have an addictive personality and just have to know "when to fold them"....Don't despair tho, the outcome of this story is kinda outrageously funny.

I finally after all of these years had an opportunity to do something I have coveted most of my entire life, well at least for as long as it has been popular....yep, "To Sing Karaoke!!!!" Now I know you naysayers are already moving on from this story but hang in there, there is a lesson to be learned.

One of the places I have been checking out to relocate to if and when my house sells is a community for "55 and over". No, it's not a Senior Home., No, it's not an Assisted Living residence, it is simply a wonderful place where most of the residents have made the decision to scale down and enjoy life by turning over the responsibilities of maintaining a household over to someone else. The places I have visited are full of people many of them younger than me who have decided they just don't want to mow the lawn anymore, don't want to paint the house anymore and just want to spend the rest of their lives having fun and being around people with similar interests, including KARAOKE.

The barons of residential living have discovered that marketing these communities to people who are still viable and fun-loving can be a gold mine and they go all out making the transition a wonderful experience.

So, back to the scene of the crime. I'm on the mailing list for receiving daily notices of activities at this particular location. And last night was the long awaited time to finally have a chance to join the millions, or maybe just the thousands of people who have sang solo in front of an audience, albeit with a projector displaying the words and a sound track keeping you in tune.

 The event started at 5:00 pm because it was a combination dinner/theater get together .I had contacted a Facebook friend, Kate Cashman,  earlier in the day that I was aware of that has spent years singing at such a venue. Her advice was to have a back up song or two or three and most of all to have fun.

Upon entering, there is a catalog of songs probably thousands to choose from. Since it was the holiday season I decided to go with "White Christmas" , but another song I spotted immediately was "Shallow" , a song popular today from the movie "A Star is Born" and one I have been learning on the piano.

I was the first one to showcase their skills and I immediately knew I was where I was supposed to be when I was handed the microphone. The music started and I began pitch perfect, at least in my mind, as I "worked the floor" (that's show business talk) and made eye contact with people in the audience. I was loving the moment until some lady decided she wanted to finish the song beside me and kind of stole my thunder. 

I had a raucous reply from the audience and sat back down with my friend who I had invited to provide me support, Monica Evans,  as we planned our get away knowing anyone after me would be marginal at best.

And then it happened....I wanted more....that addictive personality kicked in as I drank from that "bottle of  recognition".... I should have stopped then, signed a few autographs and left feeling on top of the world. Nope, I didn't "know when to fold them"... I thought, maybe one more song.

This time I took the microphone, had a little banter with the audience, told them "I'd be in town all week", thank goodness I didn't ask if anyone was from out of state. I told the over 55 group of people that "Shallow" was a popular song from a recent movie sung by Bradley Cooper and Lady Gaga and I could see people mouthing the words "did he say Gaga?"...and then I said to the DJ "hit it" like I was a seasoned performer.

I felt like I did a pretty good job which was confirmed by Monica but the applause was only half of my first performance. I think they just didn't know what the heck the song was.

And so it was,  just another lesson in my newest Journey.

 Be aware of your surroundings, enjoy what you have and don't be greedy, and most of all....just have fun.

Peace


No comments: