Dec 14, 2019

Shame on me....."Box step Tommy"



It was just a week or two ago when I wrote a story about pleading with people to live their lives to the fullest and quit playing the piano in "Middle C".  I suggested to get out and enjoy new things, try something different than just the "missionary position" of Life..

So what's happened since then, you ask? Well, for starters I'm now calling myself  "Box-step Tommy" . Sure laugh if you want to, but it's a plight I am trying to overcome.

As many of you know I have been dancing twice a week at the Senior Centers both in Richardson and Plano. I've met some wonderful people there who in addition to enjoying dancing, they are enjoying life and squeezing every ounce out of each day and night. Many of us have experienced the same losses in one way or another and we are determined to not let a day go by that we don't create new memories in our Journey.

In addition to dancing twice a week, I  also take a group dance lesson on Friday afternoons. The first one I took several weeks ago conflicted with the weekly pool tournament that starts on time at 1:00 at the Richardson Center that I participated in and the lessons start at 2:00 pm

Here I was, just going into the winners bracket final game and I had to forfeit in order to go into the adjoining room for my dance lesson. I did get a few scofflaws from the guys in the tournament when I had to turn in my cue and go to the lesson but I'll ask the men reading this, "would you rather shoot pool with a bunch of guys and talk guy stuff or dance with lovely ladies to ballroom music?". If you don't want to answer publicly, send me a message.

So anyway, I admit I'm learning many steps and several different dances including, the waltz , foxtrot and more. And my faithful dance partner, Monica Evans, who is a wonderful dancer, puts up with my clumsiness and continues to encourage me with "you've got great rhythm, you just need to learn the steps".

I think the same thing is happening that has happened most of my life in that I tend to rely on my smile and charm to get me through difficult situations rather than stepping up to the plate and getting the job done. Maybe that smile is starting to turn upside down and that charm is wearing thin.

Or maybe I'm just getting frustrated. It seems like every time I learn a new step, then I have to learn a new one and a new one and a new one. I just want to scream, "I WANT TO JUST BOX STEP". I just want to be "Box step Tommy" and sit out the more difficult dances and not learn how to "waltz across Texas".....

HOLD ON....What was I thinking. I'm not a "Box Step Tommy" kind of guy. I want to compliment my dance partner. I want to have people ooh and aah as I spin and twirl and do the "conversation step". Heck yeah, I'm a winner and I won't take second place. I'll learn these new steps by gosh and enjoy myself as I do. The one thing I have learned is the most important thing is to have fun and if you can learn new things while having fun, well then that puts icing on the cake.

Alright, I feel better already. Time to get to Youtube and watch and then practice, practice and practice and occasionally give you an update.

Peace

No comments: