Jan 10, 2018

Good manners never go out of style


One of the many things that I am so thankful for is how my parents taught me good manners.

I can remember going  different places with my Dad and he would always wear his fedora hat. Whenever he would pass a woman he would always kinda tip his hat and softly say "How do you do". It's just how it was and I'm sure the other men during that time did the same thing, assuming they were reared properly.

And of course, never would a woman or anyone senior to Dad,  have to open a door when Dad was around.

I feel I have followed in his footsteps correctly. And of course, Mom taught me manners as well, from learning how to eat and hold my silverware properly, seat a woman at a table and many, many more. I'm curious if it is still proper for men to act somewhat gallant with today's generation or if in fact it is considered sexist.  I'll still do it my way regardless of the current decorum.

I did have an incident yesterday though while at the doctors office while I was there for  an annual visual body scan with my Dermatologist.

Her PA had come into the room initially and after asking me the normal questions she told me I could remove my clothes down to my underwear  and then gave me a sheet so  I could cover myself   as I sat on the examination table.

After a few minutes of following her instructions, I suddenly panicked when I thought to myself, "Dang,since my Dermatologist was a woman and I always stand whenever a woman or really anyone enters a room, would it be more impolite to stand up in my skivvies and shake her hand with the possibility of the sheet falling or should I remain seated?"

Well, the doctor knocked, I said "Yes" and she extended her hand immediately as I kinda half stood. Problem solved.

I recounted to her the dilemma that went through my mind right before she came in and she laughed and then we got down to business.

My Dad always told me that, "Son, never forget where you came from and always have good manners" .....I guess that is even true when you are in your skivvies...People may not even notice if you are polite.

No comments: