Jun 1, 2017

Some words that inspired me 50 years ago today....



I'm not sure if it was a revelation or an epiphany or perhaps neither. But today, on June 1, 2017 I was contacted by my older brother, who also happens to be a regular reader of this blog, and he asked me the following question.

"Are you aware what happened 50 years ago today?"....Well, no, actually I didn't. I did know it was kind of a neat time in my life ,1967. I was getting ready to go back to college for another year of debauchery. Staying out late. Drinkin'. Listening to music. Mostly "The Beatles".

Dave said, "Well, I just heard on the evening news that the song by the Beatles called, "A Day In The Life" happens to have the name of your blog in the lyrics."

Well, yeah, that's where I got the name almost 13 years ago when I started this blog. And even before that I used it for a column I used to write for a semi-underground newspaper off-base when I was in the U.S. Air Force. I used the pseudo-name Mot Rednek for the byline(if anyone can see the similarity there) just in case anyone on the base saw the column. Dave had never heard the lyrics. I was kind of surprised.

I loved the lyrics then, and I love them now. Although too often people think the name of the song is "I read the news today, oh boy"

I guess I realized Dave was already out of college and he was pursuing his career in the Air Force so maybe rock and roll wasn't his thing. It was mine for sure.

Anyway, "A Day In The Life" was released 50 years ago today. That's my story and I'm stickin to it.

And in a few hours from now "I'm gonna jump out of my bed and drag a comb across my head".

Rock on!

No comments: