Jun 1, 2017

Always ask before you answer....


I have a new friend...someone I met thru my pool business...who not only makes me laugh as we share our stories but also has quite a varied background like myself.

Bill J. grew up in McKinney, Texas just north of where I live which is just north of Dallas. His mother is an attorney and his father, who passed away when Bill was quite young, was also an attorney and later a judge in Texas. Good roots, good people. Bill is married to a OB-GYN and together they have a house full of younguns' as Bill might describe them. And, oddly enough, he has relatives in Dayton, Ohio where I grew up.

Bill is just one of those people who you're immediately drawn to. His deep Texas accent warms you right away and his down home speech might fool you into thinking he is just a good ole' country boy. Well, he's that for sure but he's also a lot more. He's witty, intelligent and very astute at figuring out people. Again, humbly, a lot like me. I guess that's why I like him.

Although the family has now moved to the big city (only about 20 miles south) Bill maintains his cattle ranch up in McKinney. From what I gather he has a variety of stock from cows, bulls and hogs. I really don't know exactly I guess but I'm learning more as we visit.

Yesterday he mentioned he has two cows that were about to domino and he would have to get up to the ranch and check on them.. Now, I'm familiar with the word "domino", since it is often used when pregnant women are ready to deliver. I doubt Bill's wife uses the word in her practice, but this is just Bill's way of telling his stories.

My immediate reaction was, "Wow. hey I'd like to go up there with you and check out the ranch."

Bill said, "Why don't you come up during AI?"

I thought,"Man, AI, gosh this guy is really up with technology. Artificial Intelligence on a ranch."

I asked, "How do you use AI at the ranch, Bill?"

He smiled, again knowing he had me, ""Well, we use it to get the cows pregnant You can help if you want."

I thought...."Yikes, that kind of AI. Artificial Insemination."

I laughed and said, "Well, sure....um do I help the bull get ready or the cow?. and then I said. "NEVERMIND"...maybe I'll just take pictures!"

I tell ya, I love this guy, he's going to be giving me stories to write about for a long, long time.

1 comment:

Michigan mom said...

hysterical!