Jan 29, 2017

On turning 100

I've never known personally, someone who was a 100 years old. Oh, I've read about them. I used to see them on the Today show when Willard Scott would wish them a special "Smuckers Birthday Greeting". But to be able to talk to a centenarian has never happened.

But that's about to change.

A very special person in my heart, Rosie Keefe, will soon be reaching that milestone on Feb, 4, 2017.

I've known Rosie my entire life. She is that special person that many of us have had in one's family. Though not related by blood, Rosie was more family than most other relatives.

My first memory of Rosie was when I would visit my aunt at her office across the street from Miami Valley Hospital in Dayton, Ohio.  My aunt, who my brothers and I, affectionately called Aunt Babm, worked as an office manager for a group of leading Ophthalmologists in Dayton, Drs. Stanbaugh and Thomas. Rosie, was their Registered Nurse, and my Aunt Babm's best friend.

The office was at Wyoming St. and Rubicon St. across from the hospital where the two surgeons would perform eye exams and operations with Rosie assisting them. A busy and bustling part of town with the University of Dayton near by and the Montgomery County Fairgrounds just down the street. A more commercial and business like area rather than residential. Yet, Rosie lived in a small frame house just across the parking lot from the office. I'm guessing she was probably never late for work being that close.

Since eye examinations were foremost in our household and I guess because they were probably gratis, I got to visit quite often. Rosie was always there in her crisp white starched uniform, always with a smile and a hug. She loved all of the Kender boys so much, but secretly I think she loved me the most.

A few years later, when I was in high school, I had an opportunity to work  nearby with Rosie. 

The office building housed in addition to the Ophthalmologists various Internists as well. They sent their patients to a laboratory in the  basement to have blood work and accompanying urine tests run. My Aunt Babm was influential in securing a position for me as literally "chief (specimen) bottle washer" after school. Each and every day, Rosie made it a point to come down to my little alcove and say hi to me always wearing her personable smile. Most days, I would venture upstairs to visit Rosie in her work area wearing my "Ben Casey-type" shirt/uniform to wish her a warm greeting as well.

Another mental snapshot of Rosie was when she ended up living only a few blocks away.

My grandmother, Nana, lived with Aunt Babm just a few streets away on Addison, just up from my house on Sandhurst. After Nana passed away, Rosie moved from her small house near the office and shared the home with Aunt Babm. Rosie would eventually become a care-giver as Aunt Babm's health began to slowly fail.

There they would spend their hours creating the most beautiful needle point pieces together and never, ever without fail listening to another of her loves, the Cincinnati Reds.

As time moved on and the house became more difficult to maintain they eventually both moved to Friendship Village in north Dayton and where after Babm's passing, Rosie lives alone today.

Even at 99 and soon to be 100, Rosie never misses wishing me  a holiday greeting. She always sends a Christmas card and always asks about my family whenever we talk on the phone.
When I return to my childhood home in Dayton, some 1,000 miles away, I always without fail make sure my visit to Rosie is at the top of my list.

 During a recent visit last September, I commented to Rosie about her upcoming 100th birthday and said "Rosie, I don't know anyone who is 100", she smiled at me and said wryly, " neither do I".

As I look back over the years, I realize I really don't know much about the life history of my centenarian friend. I guess it never occurred to me to ask. All I ever knew was that Rosie was just always there. But I will ask  on my next visit and next visit after that for I feel if Rosie has been with us this long, she will be with us for years to come and has a lot of stories to tell me. 

So, Happy Birthday my dear friend. I am blessed having you in my life. You are an inspiration to me to cause me to want to stay around for another 30 some of my years to attain the goal that you have now reached.

Your loving "nephew"
Tommy


No comments: