Dec 10, 2011

"The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated"

Mark Twain uttered those words when news of his death was mistakenly reported in the New York Journal. And it's for his ability to share these kind of stories that he is so enamored  in the hearts of Americans. I don't purport to have that ability, but I think you'll find the following story, not only heart-warming, but entertaining as well.

Earlier this week I had been contacted by the spouse of a former high school classmate asking  if I had heard anything about the passing of a certain individual. That supposedly deceased person was from her husband's and my Class of 1966 of Fairview High School.  Her husband, Ed,  had mentioned that he had heard or read something about the passing and she mentioned  that person had previously lived across the street from them.. For some reason, I have gained the reputation of being able to seek out long lost friends and classmates, so I reluctantly accepted the task even though it saddened me to do so, suspecting the worse case scenario..

I initially inquired of some of my classmates that I am in contact with on a daily basis, one of which who had also lived across the street from Danny and his wife at one time. .She was deeply saddened hearing of the news, however, she had no idea where he lived. So, I started with the simplest source of searching, Google, and began to gain a little headway and in fact found out that Danny was living, or perhaps dead by now, in Pinehurst, N.C.  I didn't have an email address and although I looked in every newspaper of any size in North Carolina, I was unable to find an obituary. I did find, however, someone who I thought might be a daughter, who taught at the Univ. of N.C. at Chapel Hill.
As I get further into my 60's it is not uncommon to learn of the passing of classmates all too often and I began wishing I hadn't taken this quest. I sadly wrote her an email explaining my mission, offering condolences if in fact her father had passed away, and apologizing if in fact she was not related.
Danny was one of the nice guys in high school.. Quiet, friendly  always willing to help you. . And as I kept asking more and more classmates if they had any news, the  same platitudes kept pouring out. All stating what a nice guy he was and he would be missed.
It wasn't  10 minutes later that I had.heard from Danny Joslin and the  "The reports of his death being  greatly exaggerated". Danny's daughter had contacted him upon receiving the email  and he immediately replied. I had to ask him in 2 consecutive emails if he was really  alive. He convinced me he and his wife Susan  Behney Joslin, also a '66 classmate, were alive and living in North Carolina with their two daughters close by and five wonderful grandchildren.

We exchanged a few more emails with  me  giving he and his wife links to Fairview-related web sites and I immediately informed my classmates  of the news and the mistaken report.
Danny thanked me for my diligence and concern and I continually told him how happy I was hearing he was alive. I'm sure he just smiled.
I'm still smiling now as I retell this story and know that I will certainly have a Merry Christmas knowing that the saddest of news turned out to be the happiest of news.


No comments: