Sep 10, 2005

"That and a $1.50 will get you a cup of coffee"...I beg to differ

With my days of new found freedom waning as I prepare to look at Plan B for a source of income while Pattye and I develop Gathering Eggs , I have been working on a resume of my years of collective knowledge and experience. I find I am somewhere between a hard-working, team player, traditionalist whose life's work is centered around problem solving to a dreamer, an idealist, a visionary in search of Utopia.
My list of varied occupations is partly due to a long time on this earth and my desire to experience new ideas, new ventures, new pursuits. Although most of the more satisfying enterprises have revolved around the journalism arena, the more productive choices in term of dollars involved satisfying people's needs either in sales or service.
But how much is experience worth these day? Can you really put value on experience? I think you can. I know you can.
One of the most unfortunate examples of lack of experience has been happening with recent inactions and blunderings of numerous officials during the Kristina disaster.
I keep seeing time and time again so-called leaders asking "where is the help". Mayors, governors, the people in charge, each going to a higher authority asking for someone to do something.
Who have been the "do-ers" in all of this mess? Who have been the ones who have made decisions, gone into battle, saved lives. Not the diplomats, not the bean-counter MBAers with the pumped up resumes. It has been the people who have served in the trenches. The ones who have gotten their hands dirty. The ones who have been faced with a problem and made a decision and acted on it.
Heroes are just every day people who have decided that they will jump in an get the job done. Why? Because sometime in their life they were faced with decision making and they acted. They experienced a choice and they made a decision. It probably wasn't life threatening, but it was a decision that had to be made.
Mommy and Daddy wasn't there to make the choices for them. They did it on their own and they tagged it for future use. They created a place in their brain and labeled it EXPERIENCE.

So what is experience worth? I think it is priceless.
Give me someone who has life experiences. Give me someone who can make a decision and think for themselves. Give me someone who doesn't have to ask "Daddy" to bail him out.
I'm proud of the lifetime of varied careers that I can put on my resume. I have learned so much and I can offer this knowledge to the people who want results.
Experience is enlightenment. Experience is skill. Experience is a resume of your life's achievements.
That being said, let's see how well it plays in the market place!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Integral Harmony
My Personal Blog login or register to post comments Affilate Poll What I want most from Linux Gazette: More blogs More hard-core, technical content More hands-on, how-to content More content for newbies More ...
A superb blog,my congratulations! I will add it to my bookmark!

You might find this an interesting degree distance learning master site/blog. It’s highly successful in degree distance learning master and is being adopted by many successful online businesses,because it enhances sales and profits!

Why not check it out;you can even try it out for 30 days for just $1-thank you:-)

Anonymous said...

a lot of it is who ya know....
miss you guys.

thanks for the check for the 3 days of papers.

hope all is well.

dgoss