May 28, 2005

"Spiders - 2, Tom - 0"

Uh oh, have I been doing something I shouldn't have been doing? If you believe in Karma then you would probably say, "Yes, Tommy, shame on you". But hey, I have been just moseying along like I always do.
In the matter of 4 days, I have been bitten twice by spiders, and I have never been bitten previously.


SPIDER: Linked to treachery and death in many cultures, it was seen as a "trickster" in ancient Africa, a "spinner of fate" in ancient goddess cultures and -- in ancient Greek myths -- the goddess Arachne turned into a spider by her jealous rival Athena. "Christian" cultures have linked it both to an evil force that sucked blood from its victims and to "good luck" because of the cross on the back of some species. The Chinese have welcomed the spider descending on its thread as a bringer of joys from heaven.


Earlier in the week, I was working out at our waterfall, cleaning a pump, and must have put my arm where it shouldn't have been. I got a bite that swelled -up (that's Texas talk) the size of a half-dollar , got real hard and red, and hurt like a sumbitch (more Texas talk). Finally decided to check it out on the Internet,( hey, what do we need doctors for anymore?) and the Net' said a little Neosporin and it should go away.
Well, just as it was getting better ( I guess injuries don't really get better, I mean like how do you have a better injury?) on Friday, as I was finishing up at one of my "celebrity" pool customers I got bit on the palm of my hand and it hurt worse that anything I have felt before. I have had a couple of hundred stitches in this beaten up body of mine and I have never felt pain like I did with this bite.
I knocked the thing off, and saw that the black spider had a marking on it. It took off and I couldn't find it. Next thing my head started pounding and I started getting nauseous. I called the woman who promised to love honor and nursemaid me and she wanted me to go to the emergency room. Nahh, I can tough it out.
Started sweating, head was hurting, didn't know if I was supposed to try and suck anything out (too much T.V. as a child) and headed for home.
Took a couple of aspirin, put on more Neosporin, and waited to see if I would be around blogging in the morning.
Well, here I am , the hand hurts like hell but I am still alive.
I've been trying to find out if getting bit by a spider is a sign of anything and I have found out in fact that it is a sign.
It is a sign of STUPIDITY. So, maybe it's not Karma after all but just a sign that I should pay more attention.

No comments: