Apr 21, 2018

There's no place like home...


One of the neat things about time travel is the ability to not only go back in time, but to be able to go forward in time.

 I've been time travelling for all of my adult life and even some periods of my adolescence. Back then though it was called "day-dreaming" or "inability to focus" and then later a medical tag was placed on one's inner focus and us "imaginers" as I like to call it, were labeled as ADD or some other nonsense.

Even still, with all of the fun and excitement of taking your mind to wherever you wanted to go, there was always comfort in getting back home. I like to compare it or relate it to when you are returning from a long vacation and the warm feeling you get as you finally get to your street and you can see your house still standing right where you left it.

Or like the first joint you ever smoked, or so I am told, and you are really seeing things as never before but there is that anxiety of thinking "I wanna get home, I wanna get home".

For the last couple of months I've been on a journey into the future. It has been truly eye-opening and just like that long vacation, it felt so good to get back home.

This  last trip took me forward to the year 2017 and the first couple months of 2018. I could see myself vividly in the mirror. I didn't look too bad, but I had definitely aged. My hair was grey. My skin sagged. My posture had curved slightly and ugh....I was having trouble hearing and I could not believe I would soon be 70 years old. Thank goodness this was simply my mind's trip in the future. There was no way I was that old.

I still felt reasonably well though and despite the fact I didn't sleep like I used to, I still woke up feeling refreshed and ready to take on another day.

One of the sad parts of this recent time traveling journey was seeing the passing of friends, some of whom I had known all of my life.

I made notes during this trip and fortunately they were still in my mind when I woke up. I had written that I was going to take better care of myself both physically and mentally. And, I was going to try and enjoy each day as if it was my last.

It felt good to be back home. It felt good to know I was only in my late 30s and had a whole lifetime ahead of me. It felt good that I would be able to see and talk to those who would leave my life much too early. And then, oops it dawned on me.

I had accidentally set my timer on my mental time machine back way too far. My programming had gotten fouled up from me not paying attention. And, the trip to the future that I thought I had been on was in fact a trip to the present.

I guess I'll need a slight tune-up on my "head-brain traveling machine" before I go off on another journey. And whether I go to the past or go to the future, I'll always be happy to get back home, despite the fact that my body has aged even though my mind is as young as ever.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Tom,

We are always striving to get back home no matter where that may be, but its the journey, the roads we travel in that journey back home that make us who we are, that give us the memories, good or bad, of that journey we have taken. But, we must all take those journeys and we must all make those choices on the roads we will travel on our journey back home. The real adventure is not in the journey so much as it is the experiences we have on that journey, for it is the experiences that make us grow, and hopefully they make us grow good.
We must never be afraid to step out and take those journeys, for we all need those experiences to grow, to truly know who we are.
The hard part is to say good-bye to loved ones and close friends along the way, but those too are part of the experience in this journey we call life.
Enjoy the journey, for we will all follow those who have gone before us, and we will meet them once again in the great journey home called eternity.