Feb 24, 2017

How you doin'....

We ate lunch at one of our favorite restaurants yesterday. It's nearby, it's a little hidden, it's a little nondescript, it has excellent food and it's Italian....I mean REALLY Italian. It has Frank Sinatra songs playing in the background....it has authentic Italian dishes. And, you almost get a feeling you could see Tony Soprano sitting at one of the tables.

We usually try to get seated in our favorite waitress's station but we saw she was working on what appeared to be a large catering order. And since we were one of the first in the restaurant for lunch we opted to just be served by whoever had that particular area.

Seating us and who would also serve us was someone we have seen numerous times and whom we thought was one of the owners since he always greets diners, sometimes seating them, sometimes, serving water and just always keeping  an eye on the overall operations. That suspicion was sort of confirmed when he once gave us a complimentary dessert when he saw us eyeballing a piece of strawberry cake at a nearby table.

He is truly old school. Black slacks, white long sleeve shirt and that wonderful New York Italian neighborhood expression..."How you doin'..."

Shortly after placing the menus on the table, which Pattye thought were new luncheon menus, he returned to take our order.  I asked, "Are the menus new?"....he replied, "I dunno I just got here.". I laughed a little nervous chuckle just because partly due to his accent and slightly nervous because I didn't want to offend him.

Then I took it one step further. Since I can never go anywhere without engaging someone in conversation, I asked the elderly gentleman, "Are you originally Italian?"  As the question rolled out of my nervous mouth, I realized I meant to say, Are you originally from Italy?"...he kinda looked at me like I was a little stupid and said, "What, do I look Chinese?"...Again, that slightly little nervous chuckle from me.

Pattye ordered a bowl of the potato soup, which is beyond words, and I ordered the excellent chicken Parmesan. Often we just split a meal partly because the plates are huge and we eat a little less these days...Our waiter's comment to us..."What...is this a two for one. I can't make any money like this." and he walked away....and again, my nervous chuckle.

After we finished most of our meal, we asked for to-go boxes and a piece of that great strawberry cake..He looked at me, kinda smiling, yet somewhat stern..."No", he said, "You finish your meal here.. Eat it here". and then he walked away. In a few minutes, he brought the boxes and as I said "we'll do that".meaning, we would put what we wanted into the boxes....he proceeded to put the food in the boxes himself. And then surprisingly he declared, "You need more juice", referring to the broth from Pattye's soup, which I thought was a nice gesture. And off he went to enhance the take home dishes.

This is not the man's first rodeo.He brought back the change from two $20.00 bills that Pattye had given him (she always treats) and it was obvious he left the $.30 in coins behind...not a big deal...and actually something that one might appreciate since you don't have to carry it around anymore and its value is much less. Pattye gave a generous tip since the food, service and overall experience was great even though I wasn't ever sure of where I stood with the wonderful man, he certainly was entertaining.

And of course, as we were leaving, another man, whom we have also thought to be one of the owners, said as we left and he put out his hand and said..."How you doin'"

I love those Italian mannerisms, and even though my smile was a nervous smile, I think he was very sincere, so I replied in a similar manner, "How, you doin?". He smiled....thankfully.




No comments: