Nov 9, 2006

"The Winds of Change.....or is it just Wind""

The votes have been cast...the results are in. The Democrats have taken over the Senate and the House and a new Secretary of Defense has been put in place. All in one day.
Incumbents are licking their wounds, the newly elected are frothing at the bit to get a piece of the action.
Winds of change??
I doubt it.
I not cynical because my candidates lost. In fact, I really didn't have any candidates.
I simply voted for the least offensive.
And, for the first time in my voting life, I strayed from voting a straight ticket. Part in protest, but probably because I am beginning to see the light.
I'm not embarrassed to tell you that I even voted for a candidate here in Texas, who in fact received the least amount of votes in a 4 candidate race for Governor.
Why?.....Well, actually he made a lot of sense. He pretty much told it like it is. It was almost like a continuation of his long running standup comedy routine.
I grew up in conservative atmosphere, a home where working hard and doing the "right" thing meant good things would eventually come to you. My mother volunteered for years for the Republican Party. The party for those, at least I thought at the time, was for the business people, the doers.
I can remember as a student at a Catholic elementary school as being one of only a handful who didn't support JFK in a straw vote held in class. My God, the nuns stared at me as if I would go to hell for not supporting a catholic president.
But, that's how I was raised.
My daddy drove a Ford. His daddy drove a Ford and his daddy's daddy drove a Ford. It was just a tradition.
But does it really matter what Party these people represent?
I don't think so any more.
This government will continue to stay gridlocked for the next two years, and then the next two years and then the next two years and so on.
Oh, we'll eventually get out of Iraq. We'll do it the same way we did in Vietnam by simply declaring victory one day and bringing our troops home. Long after many have died or left maimed.
The economy will go up and down, each political side claiming victory when things are good, and each side blaming the other when things are bad.
So will things change? I doubt it.
"The Wind of Change is simply Wind.....or better yet, simply Gas!

1 comment:

Susi said...

It's just wind I think that comes from many different directions..no real change, just rearrangements. Im enjoying your writings..please continue.