May 24, 2006

American Idol..........And the winner is..........

By the time most of you get around to reading this, the winner will have already been chosen. Still, when I toss and turn all night with dreams of "Taylor" (not sexual) and "Kat" (maybe sexual....just kidding) then I guess I need to put my thoughts on paper, er....cyberspace.
This is actually my first season to get caught up in "Idol" or for that matter any of the competitive, reality shows. Wow, what a show. I know it is trite but each one is a winner.
As usual though, it's scenes like this that always take me back to my high school years.
I have few regrets in my life and few things that I would like to have a "King's X" or do-over, but one of them was spending my time trying to be "cool" , which I really wasn't, rather than being involved in Drama Club and participating in high school plays and talent shows.
Oh, I don't really have any artsy skills, but I love the stage. I love the magic that occurs when all of the forces come together, when set construction crews, lighting technicians, directors, actors, everyone connected with any performance wait in anticipation as the curtain opens for the opening scene or set.
I can remember my first time on stage, when as a second grader I sang a medley of patriotic songs for the school. Just being behind the curtain, ten feet higher than the audience gave me such an exhilarating feeling. And the applause....that was the icing. Being on stage was enough, but hearing applause....that was great.
Fast forward to high school......Here was a chance to maybe make my mark......did I tryout for any of the plays or shows?.......did I offer my services to work back stage?.........did I even go to the productions? No, no and yes. I guess I followed my peers in making the stupid cracks about Drama Club, but I always made sure I went to the performances.....each time wishing I had been part of it.
In my senior year, I had the once in a lifetime opportunity to travel to New York City and see the real thing. Our week-long adventure took us to the Great White Way where we saw "Man from La Mancha, "Fiddler on the Roof" and the forever remembered off-Broadway hit "The Fantasticks". Whenever I start to sing, "Try to Remember" I picture myself on-stage bringing tears to the eyes of the audience as they roar in approval.
Oh well, another chapter gone by. Another missed chance.
Regrets? Sure. But now I can relive those moments with "Idol".

No comments: