Dec 15, 2005

"It is the best of times, it is the worst of times"

Excuse me Charles Dickens, but since I can never seem to come up with such magical sentences as you then I must borrow your great gifts.
Yes, as Christmas approaches, it now becomes the best of time for me, but yet, the worst.
The best are obvious..... The holiday spirit. The joy of giving. The reuniting with family. Food, food and more food. And of course for those of us who still profess a faith in God, the anniversary of the birth of His son.
But unfortunately it also becomes a time of sadness for me.
Maybe I should blame it on the paintings by Norman Rockwell that used to appear on the covers of Life magazine at this time of year.
Rockwell's paintings always depicted what I thought Christmas should be like, but it never was that way and it still isn't today.
I don't become a Scrooge at Christmas, but just the opposite. I love to give. I love to entertain. And, Lord knows I love to eat.
It's just the melancholy that begins to creep in during these coming days. It has always happened and I am sure it will happen again this year.
I guess I like to picture Christmas surrounded by my family. The lovely wife with her kerchief serving sugar plums , whatever the hell that is. The grandchildren dressed in their nightgowns waiting impatiently to open their gifts. And I, waking up from a long winter's nap with my cap upon my head.
I do remember one of the better Christmas seasons though,............... well I thought I did, but I guess that was just a painting also.
Alas. I guess I'll just watch "It's a Wonderful Life", exchange a gift or two with Pattye. Wait for the kids and grandkids to come by and open their presents, eat and clean up the house.
................See, I told you it is the worst of times.........
Merry Christmas!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, I saw tattoos mentioned twice after your h.s. reunion, but haven't heard any more. So, you have something to say, my old friend?