Nov 1, 2005

"For Whom the Bell Tolls"

A expression from a sermon by John Donne in the 1600's and later used by Ernest Hemingway as the title of his novel about the Spanish Civil War "For Whom the Bell Tolls" says that because we are all part of mankind, any person's death is a loss to all of us.
Fast forward to modern times and allow me to metamorphize a person's death to the loss of what we once called Customer Service.
Gone are the days of actually talking with a "real person" to help solve our problems. Now upon calling Customer Service we are bombarded with a series of menus before we can begin pleading for help.
Which reminds me, why are you asked at the beginning of the onslaught "would you like to hear the menu in Spanish, if in fact you only spoke Spanish, how would you know what they are asking ".
Anyway, I am not telling you anything you haven't experienced yourselves and have complained about for some time.
My question though is, "Why do we put up with it? Why do we allow the people that we pay our money to for newspapers, internet connections, cable, gasoline, water, electricity, gas.....need I go on.......... why do we allow ourselves to be subjected to, at the best a person in India with some totally nondiscernible accent to the worst, a non-person whose robotic system usually gets us only back to square one.
Well, I've had it.
The next time I can't get a problem resolved with a real person, right away, then by gum, I'll just .............wait......I can't complain about that because I don't have anyone to complain to.
Oh yeah......I'll send an e-mail.........no........that won't work because all I will get will be a robot e-mail response saying "Thank you for your e-mail, please don't respond to this response to your response. We will respond at a later time".
So, what do we do?
I guess we accept the death of Customer Service as inevitable, just like our ultimate death.
As my childhood friend, Pogo, always used to say, "We have met the enemy and he is us".
Am I giving in? Well, I guess maybe I am.
I hate it...... the non-response. What's more I hate the fact that I have allowed it to happen.
Some time ago I wrote a blog about Where did we go wrong and said that "Today, I make a change". Well, here I go again, today I make a change...........if only I could speak to a real person!!

No comments: