Oct 11, 2005

"Pardon me, .......Is my slip showing?"

It's interesting what you learn about yourself when you start doing the things that you want to do rather than what you have to do.
During this transition time as Pattye and I develop our new niche (which by the way is moving along very well........which I'll describe in a later blog), I have been experiencing more and more of life's happenings that exist around me. Nothing major, but just the little nuances that I have overlooked for so long.
We have been spending much of our time going to Trade Days and Craft Shows. The trade days, at least in Texas, are venues for hawkers, collectors, hobbyists, occasional "white trash" and just about anybody that has something to sell, barter or even buy. I've seen everything from goats, roosters, hand-made swings made out of old tires to Fenton glassware, hand-painted light switches, funnel cakes and sausage-on-a-stick (my favorite).
Actually, the Trade Days will probably be a source for revenue on a monthly basis for some of my wood crafts.
But it is the Craft Shows that has left an impression on me.
Recently we had the opportunity to go to the Cottonwood Creek Arts Festival in Richardson. Although I have been there several times before, I never took the time to actually "look at" and really admire the beautiful pieces of art on display.
This show has become nationally known and as many as 800 artists apply annually with only 250 being selected to show and sell their work.
I guess I realized how few talents, or actually no talent, I had after seeing so many creative and detailed pieces. It's then my "softer" side began to take over. I began to marvel at the talent that these artisans have been given. I'm jealous.
I wish I hadn't slept during Art class. Come to think of it, I didn't even take Art class. I did however take Machine Shop and Drafting.
Anyway, I now find myself taking the time to look at Art, Pottery, Ceramics, Glass creations, many things that I often would pass by as I was looking for the closest Turkey Leg, or Sausage-on-a-Stick vendor.
I have even now began watching the Antique Roadshow on television.
Is it too late for me? I don't know.
Grandma Moses didn't start painting until she was well past my age.
My dad started painting in his 70's after suffering a stroke as part of his rehab.
Why is it that some of us have to spend our lives not taking the time to appreciate the niceties in life. We find a socket wrench is more manly than a paint brush or a potter's wheel.
Hey, I am doing want I want to do and if it means part of my feminine side or "girlie" side might be starting to come out,.... so what.
Just please let me know if my slip is showing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Epiphanies are good; developing new
interests is good; increasing self
awareness is good. But what do you want to do? Having a plan is the first step of every journey.