Feb 19, 2005

"Newspapers and Tired Head"

I have spent the last week devouring everything I can get my hands on to determine whether or not we are going to have a job for the next couple of years. It's no secret that the newspaper circulation numbers are dwindling and the DMN is trying everything they can to boost or at the least maintain its hold in this industry.
My bible has been Tim Porter's First Draft . He has written a 12-part (so far) series dissecting The Vanishing Newspaper, and offering his views on the survival of the newspaper as we know it today.
I've been in this business off and on for over 35 years from writing, editing, and now circulation and I don't think there will be many years left. The DMN has made dramatic changes in their approach with the Spanish edition Al Dia, their fast-read Quick and the real, real fast-read At A Glance. But the heart and soul of the newspaper is slowly losing its subscribers. In my opinion, it's because we have lost an entire generation of newspaper readers. Oh yeah, the Internet and Cable TV News has punched a giant hole in the numbers. But I am constantly getting news updates on the Net and have CNN on for an hour or two a day; however, I still read the newspaper from front to back everyday. I think it is simply getting a reader in the habit of reading the newspaper for in-depth articles and not depending on it for late-breaking news. The DMN is also making strides to tie-in their online version which can provide the immediate news albeit shallow information.
Anyway that's what I have been doing and that is why I have "TIRED HEAD".

No comments: