Jul 23, 2006

"To go or not to go" .....That is the question

With my apologies to Shakespeare, I feel like Hamlet as he contemplated his dilemma in what is perhaps the greatest soliloquy in literature.
Although I certainly am not considering the same fate as the Prince of Denmark, I do find myself struggling with a decision to attend my 40th high school reunion.
Every five years I find myself in the same situation...."To go or not to go".
Thirty five years passed before I made my first trip, in 2001, to attend Fairview High School's class of 1966 reunion. I found then that it truly is the journey, not the destination that is the reward. The planning. The memories of cruising the Parkmoor drive-in. The faces of friends that remained etched in my mind.
It is with the same trepidation that I now must decide as the time nears to confront the truth......the truth of my mortality. My 40th Reunion
My hair has turned grayer, my body no longer is that of a young gladiator, (not that it ever was....but allow me the prose!!) and my mind seems to wander more these days.
"Tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow creeps into this petty place from day to day" as I am resigned to accept the futility of life. Yes, I am getting older, much older.
"All the world's a stage, and all the men and women merely players". My life's journey has been written by a power greater than me. My decision is final. I shant go.....at least not this year.

"I have much ado to know myself. "

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

go for it